Welcome to Intuitive Birthing!
Certified Birth Doula, Louise Self
Doula is a Greek word meaning “women caregiver”
The Doula gives a level of support different from that of a person who is intimately related to the woman in labour.
As an Intuitive Doula, I am able to calmly and skilfully help the mother cope during labour and birth, and be a reassuring and constant presence to both the mother and the father or birth partner.
Doulas were found to have a profound impact on the length of labour, the use of pain medications and artificial labour inducers, and the number of forceps and cesarean deliveries.
These Studies indicated that through the presence of a Doula:
Reduced the C-Section rate by 50%
Reduced the length of labour by 25%
Reduced the need of forceps by 40%
Reduced the need of Epidurals by 60%
Reduced the need of Oxytocin us by 40%
Reduced the need of pain medication by 30%
Stats courtesy of : Mothering the Mother; How a Doula can help you have a shorter, easier, and healthier birth. by Marshall H. Klaus, M.D.; John H. Kennell, M.D.; and Phyllis H. Klaus, M.Ed. C.S.W.
Besides my own personal experience with birthing my boys, I also have professional experience with:
- Hospital births
- Birth centre
- Home births
- Water births
- Cesarean births
- Twin births
- Using positions and techniques to turn malpositioned babies
- Medicated and un-medicated births
- High risk pregnancies
- Midwives, OBs, student Drs., and nurses in attendance
- Teen support
- various, and effective pain-relief techniques
- Bradley Method
- Babies born in the Caul (with the bag of waters still intact)
- Preparation of the Placenta for ingestion
Trainings and certifications:
- Licensed Midwife Apprentice
- Actively studying Midwifery
- Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training with Colette Crawford
- Certified Birth Doula with Inspired Birth and Families
- Mentor training with Birthing From Within
- IV certified
- Comprehensive Breastfeeding for Apprentice Midwives
- Neonatal resuscitation
- Registered Medical Assistant
- Registered Nursing Assistant